After downloading the Genesis Framework, follow the instructions below:
- In your WordPress dashboard, go to Appearance > Themes.
- At the top of the page, click on Add New.
- At the top of the page, click on Upload Theme. (You won’t be able to find the Genesis theme in the WordPress directory. Since it’s a paid theme, you have to upload it yourself)
- Click on Choose File and find the file named genesis.2.5.2.zip
- Open that file and click on Install now.
You can activate the theme if you’d like too, but it won’t do much. You will get this error: “Please Activate a Genesis Child Theme: We’ve noticed you are using the Genesis Framework parent theme alone. We strongly recommend you run a Genesis child theme with it (we even have a free theme you can use).”
The Genesis Framework is the foundation the Bonnie theme sits on. Without a child theme (the Bonnie theme), the Genesis theme won’t work properly.
In the next step, we’ll install the Bonnie theme.